Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Trim is the New Skim

Milk, the little 4 letter word I like so much.  Milk in New Zealand is classified differently in stores.  Whole milk is known as standard milk, and had a blue cap as opposed to a red cap in the States.  2% milk is known as slim and has a light blue top, as opposed to a dark blue top.  1% is extra slim and has a dark green top, not purple like back home. Skim milk is known as trim and in held in by a light green cap.  Skim in the States has a light green top as well. This is the only cap that is the same.  I'm confused easily.  I like milk, but because skim is my "standard," I have bought it once or twice by mistake. I thought that the labels were custom made for me!  How many times do we look at milk tops anyway?  The average 1 liter of milk is NZ$2.75 at the cheapest.  I don't remember what prices for a gallon are in the states, but I think around $4. Milk is a little more expensive here, even though there are many dairy farms around the country. Oh and by the way, a "dairy" is also known as a local corner store, even more confusion.  

No comments:

Post a Comment