Monday, November 5, 2012

Why I Enjoy Traveling

I have recently moved to Sydney from Nowra after two months. Being in Sydney reminds me that I am instill in a foreign country. Nowra was eerily similar to living in small town Nebraska. Its good to know that where I came from is no different than other places on the other side of the world, There is nothing wrong with that. When traveling in a condensed period of time people make decisions that could last a lifetime. When traveling over a long period of time each decision I make feel like an earth shattering decision, knowing that I have only so much time before my work visa runs out. My last night in Nowra I was asked if traveling helps self confidence, and I was not sure how to answer. After several days of thinking about this I have come to the conclusion that I now fell less self confident because I now realize that where I am from is not all that cool and the I don't really feel any more special than any other guy next to me.

Recently my girlfriend and I, who I met in New Zealand decided to give ourselves another chance. Her name is Emily and she is from South Carolina. We met over a year ago and it seems like everywhere we turn we have similarities. When we met in New Zealand she was just starting her working holiday, at the same time I was just finishing up. I recently talked to a guy who told me that when traveling as a couple it seems like 10 years of a relationship is compressed into 10 days. I can totally relate to that. We have relocated to Sydney together and we are both looking for full time work. Emily does promotions for a living and I am doing the construction thing again. She always finds employment easily. We both admit that we would have never met each other if we were not traveling. She is my first long term girlfriend and I made a litany of mistakes he first time around that I have now corrected. Everyone has their reasons to travel. I have never really been sure of my reasons, but I am very sure that I would be very happy to travel with Emily anytime.

2 comments:

  1. Traveling opens the mind. It allows you to experience things in your life that most people never get to do. It shows you that in some ways people are very different all over the world but, on the other hand everyone is completely the same, everywhere. Goodluck with your lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Nebraska and I have lived in a "cool" place--California.

    ReplyDelete