Thursday, April 3, 2014

Sitting on the platform, watching the Trams pass all day

Today is the final day of what has been quite possibly the easiest job I have ever had. One of Emily's companies, Quickstrike was looking for extra staff to promote Sydney's light rail line. The light rail is very similar to Melbourne's tram's, however, Sydney only has one line. The line travles between Sydney Central Station and Dulwitch Hill. Half of the tram stops are new, nine new stations opened last Thursday. The New South Wales Government decided that they wanted two people to assist customers at each station, and this task fell to Quickstrike, who did not have enough staff. Last week I was doing landscaping work in western Sydney at a government housing project. I would have to wake up at 4:30 am to make to work by 6:30am. We usually ended work around 4pm, so it took me another 2 hours to get home during peak hour. Saturday two weeks ago I waited for one hour to get a bus to connect to a train to get home, a three hour commute. I was definitely keen for another job. Luckily for me Quickstriek let me on shifts without doing any training. they has a too small t-shirt for me, and a bunch of leaflets to pass out and I was ready to go. My first shift I ended up riding the rails for an hour before I found a shop with only one person, and thankfully my next shifts were properly assigned so I could go directly to the stop.

The job has been extremely easy. Emily and I go to our assigned stop at 7-9am and 4-7pm, but we are paid for six hours. most of the patrons are regular customers and have no questions, just complaints. Most of the time we just stand at the station watching trams pass as customers get on.

Thankfully I will be starting work tomorrow at the Sydney Royal Easter show at the Sydney Olympic park. It appears that I will be working every single day until April 24th.

No comments:

Post a Comment