Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Furgburglar

I was advised by my French and German friends who had guidebooks that the best burger in NZ is the Fergburger. This is in Queenstown. I am usually highly skeptical when information comes from a guidebook, especially concerning food. We arrived in Q-town with the intent of getting groceries for our upcoming Greenstone Trek.  The girls dropped us off at the trail-head near Glenorchy and drove back to town, where they had the before mentioned sandwich for lunch.  2 days later, Shawn, Robin and I met the girls at the other side of the trail.  All we wanted to do was to relax, but all I heard was talk of this amazing burger. For the most part of the trip we have been vegetarian, especially when camping.  I was almost convinced that I had missed out.  2 days later the van pulls back into Q-town minus Dani, and we go to this restaurant for a late dinner at 9 pm. We wait in line for 10 minutes before we can make an order. In the line I was graced with the presence of a few British hooligans who were out to debaucherize town that night, I'm sure they had moderate success.

     I get the bacon cheeseburger.  It costs like $11.50.  Maybe I had big expectations, maybe I was hungry(true), but this burger was not up to my standards at all.  The meat tasted like it was from a Schwann's  frozen patty.  It was drown in BBQ sauce that tasted like fermented ketchup and it ran out of the sandwich making a heaping mess on my only clean shirt(yes I have a city shirt and camping shirt).  It was filling, but I was not convinced at all.  Give me a damn Dunnie burger!!!  I shared sweet potato fries with Shawn, probably the best part of the meal.  Shawn broke down and got the Bambi Burger. He is vegetarian, so this the only highlight of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment