Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Double Down, New Zealand

The KFC Double Down monstrosity has made its way to NZ.  I enjoyed my first one ever 2 days ago.  The double down is 2 pieces of breaded and fried chicken with cheese and bacon in the middle.   Before the so called sandwich came here, there was a facebook group dedicated to bringing it here.  In Austurlia, the reaction was mostly negitive.  As I was aimlessly walking down the street one evening, I came across a KFC restaurant.  I have not been to this American chain since I entered the country.  The sandwich is NZ$7.90 by itself.  This exchanges to about US$6.50.  I'm sure it is much less back home.  After I ordered the sandwich, I waited in the restaurant and watched a music video from This is Why We Fight by The Decemberists on an LCD screen.   This sandwich has to be the reason that we fight.  The video, which I had never seen before depicts a bunch of homeless looking people who look like actors in a post-apocalyptic setting.  I don't think the actors in the video have had a double down, they are all skinny hipsters trying to fit into the backdrop of old Kevin Costner movies like The Postman or Waterworld.

The actual meal is 2 pieces of delicious white meat patty with a strange sauce with ham in the middle.  There is no bacon, it was ham! The cheese congealed into a very runny mixture that got all over my fingers.  The chicken pieces were great.  I consumed the thing in about 3 minutes.  I will not likely get another, epically considering the price. I get much more utility from $8 of fish and chips. On my way away from the restaurant, someone wrote on the sign next to the drive through window, "double down sux." I am glad I am not the only one who shares this sentiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment