Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pronounced Fung-a-ray

I recently spend four non consecutive weeks working in Whangarei. The pronouncement of the city name for whatever Maori reason is Fung-a-rey. The w is silent. This city is about 2 hours north of Auckland and has a reputation for dodgy as behavior. The best drugs in all of New Zealand are found within the city limits, or so I am told. I worked with 2-3 other people the entire time I was up there.  The boat we were working on is just being built. It has to be bogged, sanded, faired and painted. If you don't know what bogged means, that's ok, we call it bondo in the states. The entire hull of the boat is covered in bondo, then sanded back with long-bords to have a super fair finish. This takes the welding marks out. Work like this is not rocket science, so many co-workers like to smoke and drink every night. This would normally not be problematic, except for the 6 am wake up call. The hotel is in a great location. There is a tinnie house, aka weed house right around the corner, and a couple prostitutes rented the room next door to us to turn tricks. Our crew fits right in to the neighborhood. Maybe the w in Whangarei was smoked too.

I am not complaining about the circumstances, but I can now post this after I was laid off by my employer earlier this week.  Off to the next exciting employment agency.  My mom arrives June 16 for 10 day trip.  Cant wait to see you here mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment